Workday Fuel: Quick, Healthy Meals
by Ann Meiners
In March, Nutrition Awareness Month aids us in the importance of fueling our body with nutritious things so we can have optimally functional body processes. But sometimes, even when we’re able to find ingredients that are healthy, sustainable, and affordable, we still struggle to find the time to make the meal. Here are 3 healthy recipes (all made in under 15 minutes) focused on different diet types – Pescatarian, Vegan, and Low Carb (Keto) – to make cooking a nutritious meal from home easier!
Cajun Shrimp with Zucchini Noodles
Time: 15 mins | Serves: 1
-1/2 lb shrimp
-1 cup zucchini noodles
-2 cloves garlic
-2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
-squeeze of lemon juice
1. Make noodles out of 1 zucchini (if you can’t find zucchini noodles.) And mince garlic cloves.
2. Wash shrimp and pat dry with paper towel.
3. Season shrimp on both sides with Cajun seasoning.
4. Drizzle olive oil into a pan in medium heat. Add seasoned shrimp and cook until opaque and cooked through. About 2-3 mins each side.
5. Remove shrimp from the pan.
6. Using the same pan, drizzle additional oil and add in minced garlic. Once fragrant add in the zoodles, squeeze lemon over and cook (about 4 minutes).
7. Remove zoodles from heat and add Cajun shrimp.
Time: 8 mins | Serves: 1
-Açaí packet (sold at Trader Joes or Target)
-1 cup kale
-1 cup frozen fruit
-a tbsp of chai seed
-1/4 cup granola
-1/4 cup sliced almond
-1 cup coconut water
-agave nectar to taste
1. Thaw açaí packet in warm water
2. Add thawed açaí packet, frozen fruit, kale, coconut water, chia seeds, and agave nectar to your personal preference into a blender and blend. This mixture will be thick so spend time stirring it between blitzes.
3. Pour açaí smoothie mixture into a bowl.
4. Slice banana and place on top of açaí smoothie
5. Put granola and sliced almond on top of açaí smoothie and enjoy!
Spicy Cajun Turkey and Cheese Lettuce Rollup
Time: 8 mins | Serves: 1
-Head of romaine lettuce
-Cajun turkey deli meat (or your choice of deli meat)
-Sliced cheese (pepper jack is my preference)
-2 tbsp Mayo
-Louisiana hot sauce to taste
1. Cut off stem of romaine lettuce. Wash lettuce leaves.
2. Dry lettuce and lay down 2 leaves – 1 covering the other by ½ the leaf.
3. Place 2-3 pieces of cajun turkey deli meat to cover the lettuce, then place 1-2 slices of the cheese slices on top of the meat.
4. Roll up the lettuce, turkey, and cheese into a tight roll.
5. Mix the mayo and Louisiana hot sauce in a small bowl.
6. Dip the lettuce rollup into the spicy mayo and enjoy!
About Ann Meiners, ATC, LAT
Ann is a certified Athletic Trainer and Injury Prevention Specialist with Work Right NW in Reno, NV. She was born and raised in Grand Prairie, TX. Ann is a holistic care enthusiast, avid chef (not professional), and skin care connoisseur.
Be sure to check out our other blogs for further injury prevention education and tips from Work Right NW!